To make paruppu balls:
Kadalai paruppu (Channa dhal) 1 cup
Toor dhal(Thuvaram paruppu) a handful
Sombu (Fennel seeds) 1/2 tsp
Green chili 2
Curry leaves a handful few
Garlic 1 pod crushed
Coconut 2 Tablespoon
- Soak the channa dhal and toor dhal in water for one hour and grind coarsley.
- Add little water while grinding, paste should not me watery.
- Add sombu and green chili and all the ingredients together and make small balls.
Small onion 10
Sombu (Fennel seeds ) 1 Teaspoon
Fenugrek( vendayam) 1 Teaspoon
Chili powder 1 Teaspoon
Dhania Powder (Corriander powder) 1 Teaspoon
Tamarind 2 Tablespoon
Grated Tender Coconut paste 3 Tablespoon
- Fry the sombu and vendhayam and powder it.
- Add oil to kadai and fry onion till it turn golden brown and add tomato fry for a while.
- Add sombu and vendhayam powder, turmeric, chilly and corriander powders and fry the masala until oil separates from it.
- Add the tamarind pulp.
- Drop the dal balls one by one and close it with a lid and cook for few minutes.
- Don’t stir the kulambu otherwise the balls will break.
- Or you can either steam the balls in idly steamer and add to the kulambu.
- Cover it with a lid and cook until the balls are cooked well.
- Add coconut paste to the gravy.
- When it boils garnish with coriander leaves.