Mochakka Kulambu is my hubby's favorite kulambu. Mochakka is also know as Val Lilva/ Green Beans. Its great with steaming white rice and papadam.
Mochakka 1 Cup
Turmeric powder 1/2 Teaspoon
Small onions 6
Tamarind a small ball
Grated tender coconut 3/4 Cup
Mustard 1/2 Teaspoon
Methi seeds (Fenugrek or Vendhayam) 1/4 Teaspoon
Chili powder 1.5 Teaspoon
Dhania (Coriander) Powder 1.5 Teaspoon
Jeera Powder 1 Teaspoon
Brinjal (baby aubergine) 4
Curry leaves little
Cook the Mochakka:
- Add turmeric powder and water to the mochakka in a pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook the mochakka without adding salt.
- Do not drain the water.
- In a pressure cooker add oil when its hot add mustard.
- When mustard splits add methi seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped small onions and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the slitted brinjal and fry for 1 minute.
- Add chili powder, coriander powder and jeera powder and fry for few seconds.
- Add the cooked mochakka and tamarind paste.
- Add salt and close the cooker and leave 2 whistle.
- Later open the cooker and add coconut milk and bring to boil.
- Mochakka Kulambu is ready.